Quantcast

Chado Extensions: GAF / Sequencing Data / etc?

Chado Extensions: GAF / Sequencing Data / etc?

Eric Rasche-3
Just wanted to ping other Chado people and see if anyone is:
  • storing full GAF2.0 annotations in Chado?
  • storing sequencing data nearby the database in any way?
    • e.g. filenames pointing to bam/bigwig/cram/etc in a cell that you could pull out for automated analyses
  • storing any other interesting datasets?

We're building out our infrastructure for genome database. I saw these as possible future problems for us, and wanted to see if the community was doing anything cool that they would be willing to share?

Cheers,
Eric

--
Eric Rasche
Programmer II

Center for Phage Technology
Rm 312A, BioBio
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843

Re: Chado Extensions: GAF / Sequencing Data / etc?

Siddhartha Basu
Hi Eric,

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Eric Rasche wrote:

>    Just wanted to ping other Chado people and see if anyone is:
>      * storing full GAF2.0 annotations in Chado?
My ex-colleague did but on a oracle instance of chado. Here is the
starting part of legacy code
https://github.com/dictyBase/Modware-Loader/blob/develop/lib/Modware/Load/Command/dictygaf2chado.pm
Kim Rutherford(pombase) has done work with GPAD(latest format for GO
annotations) and here is a helpful discussion
http://generic-model-organism-system-database.450254.n5.nabble.com/Storing-GO-annotation-extensions-in-Chado-td4564896.html#a4581460
I have an unfinished loader for GPAD, written in golang, the testing
sqlite backend works but the pg backed yet to be completed. Here is a my
visual interpretation of the data model that i developed after a email
conversation with kim.
https://github.com/dictyBase/gochado/issues/6
And some thought process that might help
https://github.com/dictyBase/gochado/issues/7

thanks,
-siddhartha

>      * storing sequencing data nearby the database in any way?
>           * e.g. filenames pointing to bam/bigwig/cram/etc in a cell that you
>             could pull out for automated analyses
>      * storing any other interesting datasets?
>
>    We're building out our infrastructure for genome database. I saw these as
>    possible future problems for us, and wanted to see if the community was
>    doing anything cool that they would be willing to share?
>
>    Cheers,
>    Eric
>
>    --
>    Eric Rasche
>    Programmer II
>
>    Center for Phage Technology
>    Rm 312A, BioBio
>    Texas A&M University
>    College Station, TX 77843
>    [hidden email]

Re: Chado Extensions: GAF / Sequencing Data / etc?

Eric Rasche
Hi Siddhartha,

On 04. april 2016 20:55, Siddhartha Basu wrote:
Hi Eric,

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016, Eric Rasche wrote:

   Just wanted to ping other Chado people and see if anyone is:
     * storing full GAF2.0 annotations in Chado?
My ex-colleague did but on a oracle instance of chado. Here is the
starting part of legacy code
https://github.com/dictyBase/Modware-Loader/blob/develop/lib/Modware/Load/Command/dictygaf2chado.pm
Huh, good to know.
Kim Rutherford(pombase) has done work with GPAD(latest format for GO
annotations) and here is a helpful discussion
http://generic-model-organism-system-database.450254.n5.nabble.com/Storing-GO-annotation-extensions-in-Chado-td4564896.html#a4581460
That is a helpful discussion. Good to know that GPAD (will?) superseded GAF at some point. I'd never heard of it before.
I have an unfinished loader for GPAD, written in golang, the testing
sqlite backend works but the pg backed yet to be completed. Here is a my
visual interpretation of the data model that i developed after a email
conversation with kim.
https://github.com/dictyBase/gochado/issues/6
And some thought process that might help
https://github.com/dictyBase/gochado/issues/7
Thanks for sharing this work! This will be very helpful, hopefully we can implement something like this.

thanks,
-siddhartha

     * storing sequencing data nearby the database in any way?
          * e.g. filenames pointing to bam/bigwig/cram/etc in a cell that you
            could pull out for automated analyses
     * storing any other interesting datasets?

   We're building out our infrastructure for genome database. I saw these as
   possible future problems for us, and wanted to see if the community was
   doing anything cool that they would be willing to share?

   Cheers,
   Eric

   --
   Eric Rasche
   Programmer II

   Center for Phage Technology
   Rm 312A, BioBio
   Texas A&M University
   College Station, TX 77843

Transform Data into Opportunity.
Click to learn more.

Thanks again,
Eric

--
Eric Rasche
Programmer II

Center for Phage Technology
Rm 312A, BioBio
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX 77843

Re: Chado Extensions: GAF / Sequencing Data / etc?

Chris Mungall-5
You can read about GPAD/GPI here:
http://geneontology.org/page/go-annotation-file-formats

Note that the GO will be moving towards a more expressive OWL-based
representation that will allow annotations to be connected into pathways
and pathway fragments, called LEGO. You can see the editor here:
http://noctua.berkeleybop.org/

We will continue to make annotations available in GAF/GPAD, but this
will not be expressive enough to capture the full details of a LEGO
model. This would require either a new Chado module, or storage outside
Chado. WormBase are taking the latter approach.

I'll post more details here, but if any of you will be at the ISB
Biocuration meeting in Geneva, lots of GO people will be present,
including Seth Carbon (cc'd), the Noctua developer - he would be happy
to chat with any GMOD folks about technical details.