Quantcast

Filter drop-down list possible?

Smithies, Russell
Filter drop-down list possible?

Hi all,

We've just discovered the 'filter" option for our configs and it saves us lots of time pre-processing our input files.

I was wondering if it would be possible to make the value of the filter adjustable by the user ?
I thought a combo-box in the "Tracks" section next to the relevant tick box would be a good idea.
Unfortunately, I'm not a Perl/JavaScript whiz or I would have tried it myself but has anyone else had a go at something like this?

Recently got popups with overLIB working too and it's really impressive what can be accomplished.
Having some problem turning off the default tooltip though  :-(

Russell Smithies
Bioinformatics Software Developer
Invermay  Research Centre
Puddle Alley, Mosgiel, New Zealand
www.agresearch.co.nz

Attention: The information contained in this message and/or attachments from AgResearch Limited is intended only for the persons or entities to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipients is prohibited by AgResearch Limited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately.

Re: Filter drop-down list possible?

Lincoln Stein-2
Hi Russell,

Could you send me more information about what you'd like to see? I'm having
trouble visualizing what you want.

Sorry about the default tooltips. Which ones are giving you trouble?

Lincoln

On Monday 05 September 2005 05:04 pm, Smithies, Russell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We've just discovered the 'filter" option for our configs and it saves
> us lots of time pre-processing our input files.
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible to make the value of the filter
> adjustable by the user ?
> I thought a combo-box in the "Tracks" section next to the relevant tick
> box would be a good idea.
> Unfortunately, I'm not a Perl/JavaScript whiz or I would have tried it
> myself but has anyone else had a go at something like this?
>
> Recently got popups with overLIB working too and it's really impressive
> what can be accomplished.
> Having some problem turning off the default tooltip though  :-(
>

> Russell Smithies
> Bioinformatics Software Developer
> Invermay  Research Centre
> Puddle Alley, Mosgiel, New Zealand
> www.agresearch.co.nz

> Attention: The information contained in this message and/or attachments
> from AgResearch Limited is intended only for the persons or entities
> entities other than the intended recipients is prohibited by AgResearch
> Limited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
> sender immediately.

Lincoln D. Stein
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
1 Bungtown Road
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
FOR URGENT MESSAGES & SCHEDULING,
PLEASE CONTACT MY ASSISTANT,
SANDRA MICHELSEN, AT [hidden email]

RE: Filter drop-down list possible?

Smithies, Russell
Hi Lincoln,

Here's a PhotoShop'ed example of what I think it could look like.

Then instead of your sub looking like this:
filter = sub {my $feat = shift;
                 (my $rank) = $feat->attributes('coverage');
                 $rank < 60;
               }

You would have something like this:
sub {my $feat = shift;
                 (my $rank) = $feat->attributes('coverage');
                 $rank < $value_from_combobox;
               }

Managed to suppress tooltips by setting them to an empty string in the
[TRACK DEFAULTS] section:
title = ""

Is there any way to stop the "detailed view" tooltip appearing if your
mouse is not over a feature in the Details panel?

Thanx,

russell
Could you send me more information about what you'd like to see? I'm
having
trouble visualizing what you want.

Sorry about the default tooltips. Which ones are giving you trouble?

Lincoln

On Monday 05 September 2005 05:04 pm, Smithies, Russell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've just discovered the 'filter" option for our configs and it saves
> us lots of time pre-processing our input files.
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible to make the value of the
filter
> adjustable by the user ?
> I thought a combo-box in the "Tracks" section next to the relevant
tick
> box would be a good idea.
> Unfortunately, I'm not a Perl/JavaScript whiz or I would have tried it
> myself but has anyone else had a go at something like this?
>
> Recently got popups with overLIB working too and it's really
impressive

> what can be accomplished.
> Having some problem turning off the default tooltip though  :-(
>

> Russell Smithies
> Bioinformatics Software Developer
> Invermay  Research Centre
> Puddle Alley, Mosgiel, New Zealand
> www.agresearch.co.nz

> Attention: The information contained in this message and/or
attachments
> from AgResearch Limited is intended only for the persons or entities
> to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged
> material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or
> entities other than the intended recipients is prohibited by
AgResearch
> Limited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
> sender immediately.

Lincoln D. Stein
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
1 Bungtown Road
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
FOR URGENT MESSAGES & SCHEDULING,
PLEASE CONTACT MY ASSISTANT,
SANDRA MICHELSEN, AT [hidden email]

sender immediately.

filter_combobox.jpg (34K) Download Attachment

RE: Filter drop-down list possible?

Marc Logghe
Filter drop-down list possible?

We've just discovered the 'filter" option for our configs and it saves us lots of time pre-processing our input files.

I was wondering if it would be possible to make the value of the filter adjustable by the user ?

Hi Russel,

It is a long time ago I have been playing with this filtering tool but there should be an example plugin in the distribution called FilterTest.pm. The plugin is configured the usual way so that the user can change the filter value. You can also easily create drop down lists there. The only difference to what you suggest is that everything is handled in the plugin configuration page and not at the main page.

HTH,

Marc

Re: Filter drop-down list possible?

Lincoln Stein-2
Hi Russell,

That's a nice idea, and I'll add it to the TODO list. Actually, if you post
this email to the sourceforge bugtraq list as a feature request, it would be
quite helpful, as I'm hoping to get the feature request list more widely
used.

Lincoln

On Monday 05 September 2005 07:06 pm, Smithies, Russell wrote:

> Hi Lincoln,
>
> Here's a PhotoShop'ed example of what I think it could look like.
>
> Then instead of your sub looking like this:
> filter = sub {my $feat = shift;
>                  (my $rank) = $feat->attributes('coverage');
>                  $rank < 60;
>                }
>
> You would have something like this:
> sub {my $feat = shift;
>                  (my $rank) = $feat->attributes('coverage');
>                  $rank < $value_from_combobox;
>                }
>

> Managed to suppress tooltips by setting them to an empty string in the
> [TRACK DEFAULTS] section:
> title = ""
>
> Is there any way to stop the "detailed view" tooltip appearing if your
> mouse is not over a feature in the Details panel?
>

> Thanx,
>
> russell

Done.
Feature request: 1283428 "User adjustable filter for tracks"

Thanx,