Gene Ontology loading fail

Shane McCoy
Hello!
During the CHADO install of ontologies GO failed. I am loading 1-4 and 1,2 finished fine and quickly, GO sat at Loading... for 3hrs.
What is the proper restart point for this?
Thank you,
Shane M.

Re: Gene Ontology loading fail

vkrishna
Hi Shane,

In the past, if we’ve experienced any failures in loading the ontologies, we just resort to restarting from scratch (which is definitely a waste of time but assures that the core data is not corrupted).

But we’ve discovered a better route, which is to initialize from a precompiled database dump file (containing ontologies 1-5), being generated by a group at Texas A&M.
More information about this is available on the GMOD wiki: http://gmod.org/wiki/News/Precompiled_Ontologies_in_Chado

Hope this helps.

Thank you.
Vivek

On Nov 28, 2014, at 11:10 AM, Shane McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello!
During the CHADO install of ontologies GO failed. I am loading 1-4 and 1,2 finished fine and quickly, GO sat at Loading... for 3hrs.
What is the proper restart point for this?
Thank you,
Shane M.

Re: Gene Ontology loading fail

Shane McCoy
Thanks Vivek,
Though i don't see the download available on the page at the moment.
I did start from scratch this time too, but this time got:

Which ontologies would you like to load (Comma delimited)? [0]  1,2,3,4

fetching files for Relationship Ontology

  +http://www.obofoundry.org/ro/ro.obo

    500 Internal Server Error   (http://www.obofoundry.org/ro/ro.obo)

fetching files for Sequence Ontology

  +http://song.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/song/ontology/so.obo

    500 Internal Server Error   (http://song.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/song/ontology/so.obo)

fetching files for Gene Ontology

  +http://www.geneontology.org/ontology/gene_ontology.obo

    500 Internal Server Error   (http://www.geneontology.org/ontology/gene_ontology.obo)

fetching files for Chado Feature Properties

  +load/etc/feature_property.obo

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM, Krishnakumar, Vivek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Looking at the error messages below, seems to be pointing towards internet connectivity issues. Could you check to see if your server is able to `wget` or `curl` any of the failed OBO files?
The reason the loading of the 4th ontology didn’t fail is because it is using a local copy.

Also, seems like the download page doesn’t have any psql files available at the moment. Should probably write to that group to find out the reason.

Thank you.
Vivek

On Dec 1, 2014, at 11:51 AM, Shane McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Vivek,
wget worked fine. If the obo files reside in chado/load/etc then 'make ontologies' just pulls from there ok?

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM, Krishnakumar, Vivek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The ontology loader relies on the `load/etc/load.conf` configuration file. By default, ontologies 1-3 are configured to be pulled from a remote source using Perl LWP module. You can adjust this config file in a manner similar to how “Chado Feature Properties” (order=4) is defined.
You can `wget` all the relevant OBO files, place them in the right location, adjust the conf file and hopefully, this should get around "500 Internal Server Error" you are experiencing.

Thank you.
Vivek

On Dec 1, 2014, at 12:32 PM, Shane McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I looked for the load.conf and it doesn't seem to be in the /load/etc dir.
I'm not getting the 500 Internal Server Error anymore.  (which was hitting all 3)
The only failure i get now is w/ the Gene Ontology. Lasts over an hr and a half then i get 'write fail - broken pipe'
I have my ssh_config set w/ ServerAliveInterval 120
Not sure what else to do about that.

Looking at the manual loading of ontologies in Chado.Install file,
The commands to load an ontology are:
$ go2fmt.pl -p obo_text -w xml /path/to/obofile | \
go-apply-xslt oboxml_to_chadoxml - > obo_text.xml

The GO obo is: gene_ontology.obo
How does that fit into the script properly?

$ go2fmt.pl -p gene_ontology -w xml /load/etc | go-apply-xslt oboxml_to_chadoxml gene_ontology.xml

Thanks!
Shane M.

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 1:17 PM, Krishnakumar, Vivek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Scott Cain
Hi Shane,

If your ssh connection is timing out (hey, it happens to all of us :-), I'd suggest you start using the unix command "screen", which will keep your process running and preserve the output even if you get disconnected.  For a tutorial on how it works, take a look at:

Also, Mara Kim (Chado user and all around good person) has created a tool to automatically put you into a screen session when you log in remotely.  For info on it, see:

Scott

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Shane McCoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ontario Institute for Cancer Research

Re: Gene Ontology loading fail

Shane McCoy
Thanks Scott!
I'll check it out.
12th time was the charm. All 4 ontologies loaded successfully and now backed up.
Also the precompiled ontologies are back online - they were down briefly due to site updating.
Cheers!
Shane M.