[Gmod-schema] Call for 'help desk' volunteers

[Gmod-schema] Call for 'help desk' volunteers

Scott Cain-2
Hello,

As the GMOD project has grown and the applications involved have become
more intertwined and complicated, so too has the number of support
requests that come into various GMOD mailing lists.  While I try to
answer questions when I know the answers, the truth is a) I don't always
know the answers and 2) even when I do, I don't always answer due to be
human and forgetting.

So I would like to propose the following: that we have a group of 'help
desk' volunteers who will rotate and follow emails to the primary GMOD
mailing lists (gmod-devel, -gbrowse, and -schema) and send initial
to be able to answer the question.  The volunteer would then make sure
that an answer was profferred, and if none comes a long by the time his
tenure is up, then the 'open' emails would be passed on to the next
volunteer.  I think the duration of each stint would be one week.

This should not be a high stress job.  Also, I don't really want go down
the road of trouble tickets or even needing the SourceForge "Support
Requests" tracker.  It should be just as simple as using an email client
to put messages in a folder or marking them as 'unanswered' or the like.

So, anyone interested, please raise your hand :-)

Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] Call for 'help desk' volunteers

Vincenzo Forgetta
Hi Scott,

I can give it a try if you like, however, I would like some more details
on how this would work. I'm usually reading the threads anyway, and I've
asked my share of questions... so give something back seems only fair :)

Vince

--
Vincenzo Forgetta

Computational Biology
  McGill University and Genome Quebec Innovation Centre
  740 Dr. Penfield Avenue Room 7211
  Montreal, Quebec Canada, H3A 1A4

  Tel: 514-398-3311 00476
  Email: [hidden email]

[Gmod-schema] Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] Call for 'help desk' volunteers

Scott Cain-2
Hi Vince,

Thanks for the offer.  I really want this to be as low stress as
possible: your responsibilities would be limited to:

  * sending an initial response indicating that somebody saw the mail
  * in that response, indicating who you are cc'ing it to with the
expectation that the cc'ed recipient will take the ball from there.
  * keeping track of whether a answer was sent.
  * at the end of your week, you send a list of outstanding threads to
the next help desk volunteer.

Sound doable?

Scott

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 11:42 -0400, Vincenzo Forgetta wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> I can give it a try if you like, however, I would like some more details
> on how this would work. I'm usually reading the threads anyway, and I've
> asked my share of questions... so give something back seems only fair :)
>
> Vince
>
> Scott Cain wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >As the GMOD project has grown and the applications involved have become
> >more intertwined and complicated, so too has the number of support
> >requests that come into various GMOD mailing lists.  While I try to
> >answer questions when I know the answers, the truth is a) I don't always
> >know the answers and 2) even when I do, I don't always answer due to be
> >human and forgetting.
> >
> >So I would like to propose the following: that we have a group of 'help
> >desk' volunteers who will rotate and follow emails to the primary GMOD
> >mailing lists (gmod-devel, -gbrowse, and -schema) and send initial
> >to be able to answer the question.  The volunteer would then make sure
> >that an answer was profferred, and if none comes a long by the time his
> >tenure is up, then the 'open' emails would be passed on to the next
> >volunteer.  I think the duration of each stint would be one week.
> >
> >This should not be a high stress job.  Also, I don't really want go down
> >the road of trouble tickets or even needing the SourceForge "Support
> >Requests" tracker.  It should be just as simple as using an email client
> >to put messages in a folder or marking them as 'unanswered' or the like.
> >
> >So, anyone interested, please raise your hand :-)
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Scott

[Gmod-schema] Re: [Gmod-gbrowse] Call for 'help desk' volunteers

Vincenzo Forgetta
Sounds good. Would I be needing, or can you suggest ....

a) a list of cc'ed people and thier respective areas of
specialization/responsibilities ?
b) some software that can help me do all this ? Or should Thunderbird
suffice i.e. view posts by thread, and manually oraginze them ? I check
to see if I can find something better.

Thanks.

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 10:12 -0400, Vincenzo Forgetta wrote:
> Sounds good. Would I be needing, or can you suggest ....
>
> a) a list of cc'ed people and thier respective areas of
> specialization/responsibilities ?

Good (and rather obvious, now that I am presented with it) idea.  Up
until now, that list has mostly resided in my head.  I'll put one
together.

> b) some software that can help me do all this ? Or should Thunderbird
> suffice i.e. view posts by thread, and manually oraginze them ? I check
> to see if I can find something better.

My very sincere hope is that it shouldn't take anything more than a good
mail client and a folder called "still unanswered" or some such.  If we
need more than that, I'm going to have to start looking for funding for
salaries :-)